Thursday, August 25, 2022

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: Alecia Tramel-McIntyre

By: Alecia Tramel-McIntyre, Founder & CEO, Positive People Network

Being a Cisgender Black Women who lives in Miami-Dade County, which is the epicenter of newly diagnosed HIV cases, I have a profound understanding of its influences in my life and advocacy work. As I look back over my life, I realize that it has been a long journey to the thriving advocate that I have become today. I was destined for something important, but I would have never thought that my life would become a force for change for myself and others living with HIV.  

Alecia Tramel-McIntyre

There are days in our life that we will always remember, as if it was yesterday. Having my first child on May 29th, 1990. Getting married for the first time when I was 39 and being diagnosed with HIV in October 2000. I even remember the doctor that gave me my diagnosis. And had the privilege of seeing him later in life. 

Today, I have the privilege of being included in some of the best organizations. I am the Founder and CEO of Positive People Network, Inc, a non- profit organization whose mission is to change the quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS. We focus on education, awareness, social support, and prevention. 

I'm the Florida State Lead for Positive Women's Network (PWN), a member of BTAN Miami, Southern AIDS Coalition consumer advisory board member, CHARM consumer advisory board member for the University of Miami, Florida Community Health Worker Coalition, Florida HIV Justice Coalition member, Miami-Dade HIV/AIDS Partnership member, Chair of the Community Coalition of the Partnership,  Ribbon Organizing Center for HIV Aging Positively (ROC4Aging+) consumer advisory board member, National Community Action Board (NCAB) member, ICWNA board member, Blogger for A Girl Like Me with The Well Project, Florida Rights Restoration Coalition member, Florida HIV/AIDS Advocacy Network (FHAAN) member, Inductee in Leading Women's Society (LWS), a member of The MillionHeiress Club, an Ambassador of Health for Catalyst Miami 2011 – 2022, and a board member of the Women's March Miami. 

"Together we can end HIV"

I'm motivated to do all that I can to help eradicate stigma. I had the opportunity on the ground level to help re-citizens have our voting rights restored through Amendment 4 as a Field Organizer for Color of Change during the 2018 elections in Florida. Also, I participated as a member of the Florida Organizing for Power team to get the Positive Vote with PWN. I currently serve as the Co-chair for HOPE CAB (HIV Obstruction by Programmed Epigenetics) in California. I'm proud to be a U=U Ambassador for the Prevention Access Campaign. Being a U=U Ambassador, I proudly empower and educate the community on the facts and science of Undetectable=Untransmittable. And more recently, I was engaged as a community partner for the "I Am a Work of ART" campaign. And I have a commercial with the Health Council of South Florida as a part of their Ending the Epidemic campaign currently airing. And yes, I do sleep.

"Mr. & Mrs. HIV"

I'm proud to be married to a wonderful man who is also thriving with HIV. We, together, are self-proclaimed Mr. and Mrs. HIV, and we are living our best life. 

There is freedom in living your truth.

"There Is Life After Diagnosis, Live It"

Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates.

No comments: