Thursday, August 18, 2022

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: Venton Jones

By: Venton Jones, MSHCAD, PMP, Chief Executive Officer, Southern Black Policy & Advocacy Network (SBPAN)

In June 2022, I recognized the 15th anniversary of my seroconversion. Reflecting on this huge milestone as a long term HIV survivor, I am humbled by the opportunities I have had to use my story and advocacy to make the world a better place for people living with HIV, communities of color, young people, and those who are part of the LGBTQ community. I would have never thought 15 years ago that I would be running to serve as a Texas State Representative, and becoming one of the first openly Black LGBTQ and HIV positive lawmakers to be elected to a state legislative body in the United States.

Venton Jones

On World AIDS Day 2021, I made the decision to run for Texas State Representative in the house district that I grew up in in Dallas. House District 100 is one that is a majority-minority district which has a population of almost 200,000 people of which 80% are constituents representing communities of color. The issues I have championed during my campaign are: healthcare, public education, jobs, the economy, infrastructure (including our power grid), and civil and voting rights.  

During my primary, I faced a lot of obstacles as a person living with HIV and first time political candidate, including an opponent who publicly attacked my HIV status and sexuality on the campaign trail. In the face of these attacks, I continued to run a race that was focused on service to the people, and on May 24th, I earned the Democratic nomination for the seat, and advanced to the General Election with almost 70% of the vote. Now I am continuing the work to win this position against an opponent in the General Election which will take place on November 8, 2022. 

I often reflect on my HIV and public health work over the past 20 years. I am grateful for my roots as an HIV advocate. So many of the lessons about service to the community and fighting for the voiceless started in this work for me. These lessons are ones that are deeply ingrained in who I am today. I stand proudly on the shoulders of those freedom fighters who gave their lives working to abolish HIV for Black and Brown communities. So much of the work that I have focused on during my life and career has influenced my campaign. 

Venton speaking at campaign event

As I continue this legislative race, I continue to ask for the support of the HIV community. Please continue to follow the campaign and support our efforts to increase representation of people of color, the LGBTQ community, and people living with HIV in elected office. You can find out more about my campaign by visiting ventonfor100.com.

Editor's Note: As a tax-exempt, nonprofit organization we cannot endorse Venton's candidacy, however, we did ask him to include a link to his campaign website due to the historic nature of his candidacy for Texas State House District 100. We invite you to learn more about him and his candidacy.

Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates.

No comments: