Thursday, August 10, 2023

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: Jax Kelly

By: David "Jax" Kelly, JD, MPH, MBA, President at Let's Kick ASS (AIDS Survivor Syndrome) Palm Springs

It was my first time waking up in a hospital bed. Seventeen years ago I was in a private room at the end of an unusually quiet maternity ward. Attached to a vein in my left arm was one of those drip bags that was supposed to rehydrate me. No flowers or cards. Not even my partner of 14 years.

Jax Kelly

But I was grateful he brought me here.  

It's unlikely that he brought me to that hospital out of gratitude. I already had been sick for weeks. A cough had lingered so long I could only sleep if I lay on my side at a certain angle. When I bent over in the shower, I had to make sure I took a deep enough breath so I could come back up. At the hospital I was shocked to discover I weighed 144 pounds. My home scale said "65" and I thought the first digital number wasn't working. It turned out the scale had been switched to read in kilograms. But there's nothing like being sick if you want to lose a few pounds!

In the hospital, I had time to assess a lot of things in my life, including my long-term relationship. Laying in a hospital bed and being told you have AIDS can change your world. I didn't have one of those "life flashing before my eyes" moments, but I do remember thinking that if I died I felt I had lived a life with many accomplishments. I could die happy. But with a new lease on life, I started thinking of other clichés: "life's too short", "live life to its fullest" and most of all, "clean house".

Jax Kelly

I began a journey with a therapist who helped me come to terms with my diagnosis. Physically, I had not seroconverted for over twenty years since the pandemic begun. Emotionally, I had witnessed the shock and horror of uncontrollable disease on a generation I was supposed to gain wisdom and grow old with.The therapy unpacked a lot but took a break when I felt strong enough to find my own path.

The partner is now the "ex," and a new boyfriend has become my husband. My gratitude is shared between my new loves: him and members of the HIV positive community. The weight I regained is thrown around to advocate for HIV and aging services. My breath is stronger and louder to create meaningful change. Now I live with purpose, focus, and ability.

Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates.

No comments: