Thursday, July 2, 2020

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: Lynea Hogan

By: Lynea Hogan

My HIV advocacy journey has been a trail of learning and growing experiences that shaped me to become who I am today; a vibrant fulfilled and alive woman living with HIV. I could not imagine that I would ever be able to say that when I was diagnosed in 1998. Pregnant with my son and unsure of both of our futures I felt alone, swallowed up in darkness and incredible despair. I was one of the lucky ones diagnosed after antiretrovirals hit the market, but my emotional and mental health was what was failing me.

Lynea Hogan

It took 15 years of battling with my diagnosis alone before I took the advice of mental health professionals and attended my first HIV Support Group. I left those meetings invigorated and inspired to dig deep and give of myself completely. My life was forever changed because of it, I gained an entire community of fierce warriors including mentors that guided me into advocacy and community outreach. I also joined the Consumer Advisory Committee in my area of Eastern Virginia and many other community boards dedicated to education, prevention, and the well-being of People living with HIV and AIDS. I am a member of the Positive Women’s Network. I became a Greater Hampton Roads Planning Council member and dived into the Quality management side of HIV care by representing the consumer voice on the Clinical Quality Management Committee of the Virginia Department of Health. I completed certified Peer educator training and volunteered in a rural clinic. Every year I speak with Nursing students and Doctors about the patient perspective, living with HIV. I was honored at the SisterLove Inc. 2020 leading women’s society and received awards of recognition of service within my state.

I have been invited to attend many National conferences on HIV including the Ryan White Conference on HIV, HealthHIV SYNChronicity, ADAP Advocacy Association's 2018 Conference, as well as their 2019 ADAP Fireside chat in Richmond, which was an intimate gathering of stakeholders focused on issues affecting PLWHA in the state of Virginia (i.e., access to care and Ryan White services). I’ve gained so much knowledge from these experiences, they’ve laid the groundwork for a retreat I’ve organized with colleagues to support, inform, and provided fellowship for people living with HIV in the State of Virginia, scheduled for later this year.

The goal in advocacy is to meet people along your journey, learn from them, build networks, and bring others along to complete the mission. I am thankful to the mentors that saw something in me that I did not see in myself and I am grateful they convinced me that it was worth investing in that tiny light that shill shone inside of me. I hope that as I grow and expand upon this work that I have that kind of impact on someone else. Too often we get caught up in our own lives that we do not stop to see that others are carrying the same load but if we work together, we can get so much further.

Lynea Hogan, outside

There is still so much left to do. I find myself thinking about future generations and how important It is that those that come after us are left with a roadmap to where we want to go, not follow our journey but get to the destination. That place is one of love, kindness, justice, and no HIV. I believe it can happen because so many of us are doing the work right now. I want this for my beautiful son who is now a young man HIV negative because of the medications that came in time to save his life. I do this for him.

Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates.

No comments: