Thursday, June 4, 2020

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: Warren Alexander O'Meara-Dates

By: Warren Alexander O'Meara-Dates

“I have no regrets. I wouldn’t have lived my life the way I did if I was going to worry about what people were going to say.” – Ingrid Bergman

Advocacy at its core is something many of us do without realizing we’ve ever done it. Advocacy is the public support for or recommendation of a cause or policy. Looking back over my 44 years, it is crystal clear to me that advocacy is the thing I was ‘born to do!’

Warren Alexander O'Meara-Dates

I recall in my youth being an introvert never stood in the way of me speaking up and out on matters I saw as a detriment to me, my friends, or peers. These situations were not exclusive to school, my neighborhood, or my church of choice. I revolted from my childhood church home, for example, because they didn’t offer summer mission trips, Wednesday night activities for youth, or Sunday afternoon socials after “bible study.” Until that happened, I joined the neighborhood church because my classmate’s church home was ‘catering to the needs of their youth.’

Fast-forward to college matriculation and I ran for SGA President my senior year because ‘Student Life’ on campus didn’t offer us activities without the administration saying it was “okay.” For me there was a lack of school spirit, so I thought; let me advocate for some “non-traditional” things that the “church-affiliated” college isn’t used to doing. Yes; I received push back, but once elected me, my cabinet, and the campus resident students united for a planned walk-out to which administration responded with a budget and allowed us the opportunity to plan our activities and this sparked growth in campus infrastructure growing for the first time in almost 20 years.

Today, I find myself advocating for people like me living and thriving with HIV. The day of my diagnosis to some was a grim one; for me, however, getting that HIV and AIDS diagnosis was confirmation of my ministerial calling I had to fulfill. I had wandered through a “wilderness period” of not understanding life choices, career changes, spiritual questions, and failed relationships. November 2, 2009 the fog became clear. It was my “rebirth” and profound understanding that I was ‘born to make a difference for tomorrows world, TODAY.’

Warren Alexander O'Meara-Dates

From the bed others said I’d never leave unless dead, I founded The 6:52 Project Foundation, Inc. It was to be and has become an affirming HIV Education, Scholarship, Advocacy, and LGBTQ Inclusion organization. Through my work daily I speak up for those who feel they don’t have a voice on healthcare policy, organizational inclusion of community member voices, and lived-experiences. I live to raise up those, like me earlier in life, who felt they didn’t belong, yet what is offered up is not the option. Being that voice, face, leader has humbled me enough to understand that no man or woman is indeed an island unto themselves. Someone somewhere is counting on us to speak up and speak out, because giving up is never an option!

Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates.

No comments: