Thursday, September 26, 2019

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: LaDonna Boyens

By: LaDonna Boyens, Super Advocate

I am a super advocate, because if advocacy is speaking from one's truth, then my advocacy journey has and will be ongoing. Even at 52 years old, I experience growing pains. In my HIV advocacy journey there is so much to be done to help PLWHA and there are only so many hours in a day, in a week, etc., but if we are honest with ourselves, we live it as long as we live. I could give you facts as a testimony and give you lots of statistics, but truth be told I want you to learn with me. Advocacy is my life, to stand up for what I truly believe is right and fair, and be a voice for the voiceless.


My mom use to tell me I have a big mouth and my family is so proud that I am using my power for good and not evil (hence the "super advocate" statement). It truly is a calling that you need to walk and accept it with HIV-related STIGMA holding so people back, I just want you to know not to let a diagnosis keep you down or to live in a broken state-of-mind.  I am here waiting to embrace you, as are so many others. I am HIV positive and to tell the truth, I am different, but for me I love being different and making a difference.

Over the years, my advocacy journey has allowed me to work with Philadelphia FIGHT to help connect others to community resources. I have been involved with the Positive Women's Network (PWN), because women need a collective voice in our fight against the epidemic. And I've attended several national conferences hosted by the ADAP Advocacy Association in Washington, DC. Each experience has opened me to new colleagues, and new advocacy tools.

There has been so many leaders and soldiers that aren't with us in the physical anymore so I truly let those that are still here know how important they are to me and others. Sometimes personality gets in the way of the work including mine, but I remind myself, it is bigger than my hurt feelings or my bruised ego and continue to let people know we are HIV/AIDS diagnosed we count, we matter, and we are still here. The fight still remains so I want to encourage you to remain. Don't quit, hang in there when you get weary of doing good, do a little more, roll up your sleeves and go at it again and I will be there with you.  We are not victims! We are victorious!  If you can be anything please be kind! As advocates we will be the change makers of tomorrow. So my request is that you invest in us today.




Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates..

No comments: