Thursday, August 3, 2023

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: Brady Etzkorn-Morris

By: Brady Etzkorn-Morris, Executive Assistant of Global Operations, Prevention Access Campaign

I couldn’t have been more excited when I moved to Nashville in the early spring of 2008. I had just turned 32 and had taken a corporate office job. My career path was falling into place and I felt as if I was finally getting a grasp on “adulting”. However, in July of that same year, my new primary care doctor walked into the room and informed me I had AIDS. Everything around me began to crumble and finding my footing seemed impossible. To help numb the shame and internal pain that came with my diagnosis, I turned to alcohol and methamphetamine which also led to numerous suicide attempts. Thankfully, I had family and friends that came to my rescue and they helped pull me from that dark place.

Brady Etzkorn-Morris

Having existed in that dark place for so long was one of the biggest reasons I decided to become public about my diagnosis. I realized that while that part of my own story had been written, I could help others to not let their stories sound similar to mine. I became a member of the Nashville Regional HIV Planning Council, Mr. Friendly Tennessee, and various other organizations where I could use my own life experience to create change and to help influence HIV policy on a local level.

Then in 2016, I learned about U=U (Undetectable = Untransmittable), which was the last tool I needed to shed the internalized HIV stigma I had carried since the day of my diagnosis. I was able to use my experiences to influence the Nashville Metro Public Health Department to adopt a resolution supporting the science behind U=U. A U=U Task Force was also formed under the umbrella of our EHE efforts and we became one of the few cities across the country with a local U=U Ambassador program.

Brady Etzkorn-Morris

When I reflect back on my past 15 years of living with HIV, I now see that so many of the things that I was afraid of happening, never materialized, and HIV gave me so much more than it ever took away from my life; the people I have met along my journey, the love I have received from the HIV community, and my current position working for Prevention Access Campaign has shaped who I am today; and I’m happy to say I truly love this version of myself.

Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates.

No comments: