Thursday, June 25, 2020

Reflections from an HIV Advocate's Journey: Jennifer Vaughan

By: Jennifer Vaughan

Laying on my couch, shrouded in illness, shock and shame, I somehow knew very early on that I would be educating people about what happened to me. It was February 2016 and I had just been diagnosed with HIV and AIDS. I've always been an open book, so that glimpse into the future felt realistic, but never could I have imagined where my advocacy would take me.

Jennifer Vaughan

With the blessings from my family and boyfriend (at the time), now husband, I shared my story through social media. Many people living with HIV would love nothing more than to share their status and story with the world to educate and help others, unfortunately we live in a world where HIV stigma is so profound that HIV+ individuals are forced into silence. It's never lost on me how privileged I am to speak freely about it.

I started with Facebook and quickly transitioned to YouTube bringing an overall larger audience to my story. In turn, I was bombarded with questions from all over the world and therein my advocacy journey began.  It was gratifying to answer questions knowing I was making a difference.

I realized quickly that putting myself "out there" meant taking the good with the bad. The joy of connecting with another poz person, knowing you've somehow given them a bit of renewed strength by being public is motivating to say the least. Even better at times, is knowing you've educated someone who was open to information they otherwise never knew. For example, I've had people reach out to me concerned about an HIV+ family member being near their children. I'm able to take these opportunities and shed light about HIV myths on a personal level that can actually make a difference. Not surprisingly though, the stigma that oppresses most living with HIV is no stranger to advocates. Sometimes the louder we are, the louder the uneducated and fearful roar back. It comes with the territory, as does growing a very thick skin.

Jennifer Vaughan

My advocacy has granted me trips to AIDS2018 in Amsterdam, two USCAs, several podcast interviews and magazine articles about my story. In 2018, I had the utmost honor as Keynote Speaker at ADAP's Advocacy Association's Annual Conference in Washington D.C.and was recently asked to join their Board of Directors, a position I now covet. Dreams you never knew you had really do come true.

Disclaimer: Guest blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of the ADAP Advocacy Association, but rather they provide a neutral platform whereby the author serves to promote open, honest discussion about public health-related issues and updates.

No comments: